Here are the 10 versatile essentials:
1. Black beans –great for soups, salads, spreads and dips as Chef Chad Sarno demonstrates in this cooking video.
2. Lentils – hearty addition for a healthy chili dish, stew or soup like Indian Red Lentil Soup or Lentils, Brown Rice and Caramelized Onions (Mujadara)
3. Quinoa –can be served pilaf-style, stuffed inside peppers, served as an alternative to oatmeal for breakfast and even used for burgers! To incorporate some seasonal veggies, try Quinoa with Roasted Veggies
4. Low-sodium vegetable broth – culinary staple for sautéing vegetables in addition to a soup base
5. Rolled oats – January is National Oatmeal Month! Try Apple-Scented Breakfast Oatmeal and Buckwheat for a hearty breakfast, or add oats to a range of desserts
6. Whole wheat pasta –making the switch to whole wheat is one of the easiest ways to make a small change for healthier meal options.
7. Balsamic vinegar –drizzle this over a range of dishes from salads to roasted vegetables with this high-flavor, healthful topping.
8. Almond milk –this is a must for breakfast, baked goods, desserts, smoothies … you name it!
9. Diced tomatoes (When fresh isn’t available, canned tomatoes are an easy & healthy alternative to add into soups, stews, chili or to a main entrée)
10. Frozen fruits and veggies—picked and frozen at the peak of freshness, it’s easy to throw in frozen veggies to a soup, pasta or stir-fry dish and frozen fruit is a great addition to smoothies or hot cereals in the morning!
Don’t miss Whole Foods Market Sherman Oaks East 14 Day Blast Off Health Event kicking off on Saturday, January 19th at Noon. I’ll be helping them to help you start the year off right with health and wellness tips. Free event. Store Website: http://wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/shermanoaks/