Sometimes it can be caused from a hormonal imbalance medical condition called "gynecomastia" (see a Doctor if you think this is the cause), but most times it’s just where your body happens to be storing it’s fat. Now remember, I always preach that you can’t "Spot" reduce fat and that you will need to eat healthier and exercise more to reduce total fat percentage in your body. Then and only then will the "man boobs" start to decrease. But it is important to do strength training exercises for your pectoralis muscles (chest muscles) to help shape them into a firm and tight size that you can be proud of when you’re at the beach with your shirt off. (And wearing a "Bro" is so uncomfortable when sand gets in it.)
Here’s some exercises you can do to target those "Man Boobs"
1. Lie face down on the floor with hands palm down, fingers pointing straight ahead, and aligned at the nipple line.
2. Place hands slightly wider than shoulder width, and feet should be at hip width with toes on floor.
3. Start position: Extend the elbows and raise the body off the floor.
4. Lower your entire body (legs, hips, trunk, and head) 4-8 inches from the floor.
5. Return to the start position by extending at the elbows and pushing the body up.
6. Remember to keep the head and trunk stabilized in a neutral position by isometrically contracting the abdominal and back muscles. Never fully lock out the elbows at the start position and avoid hyperextension of the low back.
Alternating Dumbbell Bench Press
1. Sit in an upright position on a flat bench with a DB in each hand. (You may rest each DB on the corresponding thigh.)
2. Start position: Lie onto your back and bring the DB’s to your shoulders. Press one DB up directly above the chest with palm facing forward.
3. Lower the DB keeping your forearms perpendicular to the floor and your hands aligned at the mid to lower chest level and then press with the other arm.
4) Let your upper arms go slightly past parallel to the floor and press the DB’s up to the start position.
5) To end the exercise, place the DB’s on shoulders and return to the seated upright position.
6) Remember to keep both feet flat on the floor at all times and keep the lower back in a neutral position. Hyperextension or arching of the back may cause injury. Never lock out elbows.
Band Chest Press on Ball
1. Lie on your back on a Swiss Ball (Resisto-Ball) feet firmly on the floor and keep your hips up and core engaged with a fitness band (tubing) secured under the ball. You can also secure the band under your back if it is short.
2. With your arms extended above your chest slowly bringing them down until your hands are at chest level. Keep your elbows out a little bit from your body.
3. Once your hands reach chest level then press up and return to the starting position and repeat.
For more "Man Boob" exercises, food management plans, and motivational tips:
"Cut, Cool, and Confident: How to get rid of Beer Belly, Chicken Legs, Wimp Arms, and Man Boobs" is my new book available for guys.
Click here to order! https://www.amazon.com/author/
(Jack Witt is a Health and Fitness Coach providing In Home Personal Training, Personal Training at Private Fitness Centers in the North Hollywood, Burbank, Studio City, Sherman Oaks areas, as well as Worksite Health Programs, Corporate Wellness, Life Coaching Products, Keynote Speaking, and Group Exercise Classes.)